Back to Article:

Feds adding $2,000 benefit for Canadians out of work due to coronavirus

Comments

Robert Donley:

What about retired people? Those of us with defined contribution plans, as well as those living on RRSPs, have had our retirement portfolios decimated. The decision-makers with the federal government continue to overlook this because they have a gold-plated pension plan that will survive the economic storm. Where’s our financial aid?

Thursday, March 26 at 8:03 am | Reply

Sotha Lim:

THANKS

Thursday, March 26 at 5:07 pm | Reply

john:

I wonder if apply for the $2,000/month benefit. I am a private tutor, a freelancer — all coffee shops, libraries, etc. are closed and that’s where I meet my students. At any rate, they’ve lost their job or laid off so they themselves would not have been able to keep up their lessons with me, so both sides have been affected. I suppose I should apply to see if I qualify . . . Thanks. I suppose it will be a nightmare getting onto the site if millions are doing the same thing. What a situation for all!

Friday, March 27 at 8:38 pm | Reply

Dobbra:

Hello John,
Maybe you can tell me where can I apply for the $2,000/month benefit. I tried to find, but it is so hard. I am an individual and unemployed, but where is the Canada Emergency Response Benefit where I click. Thank you in advance for your help.

Tuesday, March 31 at 10:40 am

Danny:

I’m glad those who are unemployed through all this are getting the money they need, but what about those who are on the frontlines? Should we get a pay for all the stress and extra work we are going through?

Sunday, March 29 at 2:47 am | Reply

Kathryn:

I am currently employed as an essential worker. However, my spouse’s doctor has said that I should not be working as my spouse has a highly comprised immune system and it could be very serious if I bring the virus home. My spouse is working from home. I have two small children at home due to daycare/school closure, but my spouse cannot provide care for them. Would I qualify for the benefit to care for my children? If I do, is my employer required by law to release me from my work?

Monday, March 30 at 12:02 pm

Mary Auld:

Danny,
These benefits are for people who have lost their jobs. Your job is beyond precious and we value you a lot but am sure you will get OT pay for the extra time you are putting in. Thank you for your service.

Tuesday, March 31 at 5:27 pm

Ashish:

I just got laid off and I am eligible for both EI and CERB. What should I go for?

Wednesday, April 01 at 5:34 am | Reply

Pat Bonyai:

Hi — I work part time for Safeway and I take care of my daughter who is special needs and a high risk, and so am I as I have COPD and had open-heart surgery three years ago. Am I eligible for this benefit?

Wednesday, April 01 at 4:10 pm | Reply

Jan:

If I am eligible to apply for EI and my ei would normally be less than 2,000 a month, will my EI be “topped” up to $2,000 a month? If not, through CERB, if I’m NOT eligible for EI, I’ll get $2,000 a month?

Wednesday, April 01 at 6:54 pm | Reply

Mohamed Jesow:

I am a self-employed accountant who never did have an agreement with the EI program. My office is closed because of the Canadian government order to close non-essential businesses. Since I have lost all income because of the COVID-19, how would I qualify for the Emergency Support Program? And when will it be available to me?

Friday, April 03 at 1:20 pm | Reply