Back to Article:

CPP benefits rise by 1.4% in 2017

Comments

CJasz:

It costs $ 8 for a bone soup in Toronto’s Koreatown.
Big Poop.
The Libs in Ottawa continue to exploit poor retirees in Canada.
Shameful 3rd world group.

Friday, January 06 at 2:16 pm | Reply

cpp:

still pretty sad i get 325 a month after 46 years of work less than welfare or refugees

Monday, December 18 at 2:51 pm

Perry:

CPP benefits rise by 1.4% in 2017

Does that include CPP disability benefits?

Wednesday, January 25 at 4:30 pm | Reply

david wayne wonnacott:

I received the max. payment of 1092.50 until the end of Dec./16 my Jan./17 statement shows a CPP payment of
1107.80 which is less than the 1.4% increase mandated. Should it not be 1114.17 as noted in the ‘Benefits Canada’ newsletter ? Since I rec’d the max. pymt. in 2016, why is it less than max. in 2017?

Friday, January 27 at 5:03 pm | Reply

Joe:

I realize you posted this question about 3 months ago, so hopefully you’ve found an answer by now. If not, here is the explanation:
For existing CPP pensioners, increases are indexed to the annual inflation rate, which is the 1.4% increase mentioned, which is what you received ($1,092.50 increased by 1.4% is $1,107.80).
For NEW retirees who start CPP in 2017, the maximum benefit is $1,114.17 (approximately 2% higher than 2016), which is based on the 5-year average YMPE, which is indexed to the Average wage in Canada.

To the extent that wages increase at a greater rate than inflation, the maximum CPP pension for an existing retiree will be less than the maximum for new retirees.

Wednesday, April 19 at 3:05 pm

S. Rosenkrands:

The Liberals seem more inclined to spend on themselves personally, rather than the needy in this country. They gave themselves a nice big raise in salaries and a big boost in the expenses to run their offices. A horrendous amount to redo the Parliament buildings, and a nice new or renovated home for our spoiled head of the government and his family. All this and so much more never ending spending and so little to show for it. Quite the posh jobs our politicians have and they only work 100 days, and that is usually considered overtime. Do not believe them when they say that they work all those days when they are not sitting in Parliament.

Monday, March 13 at 2:12 pm | Reply

Jo-Ann:

The seniors don’t get a penny out of the Budget nor do the Veterans. this is Shameful. And Trudeau promised to revamp the CPP and that would mean more money in the pockets of Seniors. Promises Broken will not get you back in Justin . if you have a bunch of children then you get lots of money. Not Fair

Wednesday, March 22 at 5:26 pm | Reply

S. Johnson:

The amount of the cost of living $8 is really pathetic, last year my rent went up $650 extra for the year, and just got another notice for another increase in July 2017. I definately thought retirement would be much easier, but no.

Thursday, March 30 at 1:06 am | Reply

Jodi:

re: david wayne wonnacott, I am really interested in why your CPP earnings are not the max. I will be applying in Dec myself (birthday); but perhaps I should wait until Jan to apply.
You should pose your question on the retire happy blog…They actually answer questions.

Monday, April 03 at 11:17 pm | Reply

Betty Augustine:

My old age pension has dropped from $1,258.62 to $1006.76. I did not have any other income coming in. I do not understand why they would cut my old age pension so much or even any at all. That should not be allowed. Why why why????

Tuesday, April 11 at 1:42 pm | Reply

Betty:

My old age pension was cut by $251.86. That is a large amount for me. I was starving on 1258.62 a month now I have to survive on $1006.76. I did not have any other income How does the liberal government expect us to live on that with everything else going up. Did not our illustrious prime minister spend enough of our hard earned taxes now they are starving the seniors to the point where they have to lower their standards to eating cat food!!!!! I worked hard all my life, paid taxes, for what? Just to have our taxes depleted to nothing and reduce our pensions to unbeliveable conditions. We seniors do not deserve this from our Prime Minister. He should look after the poor, seniors, homeless people first before he brings in more people from other countries on our tax money. Stop sending millions of money to other countries and help the poor in this country. We of the 5 to 6 generations have build up the country just to have Justin Trudeau spend it foolishly. I would like to see Justine live on $1000.00 a month. That is his pocket change, I am sure. When are these politicians going to look after our people before other countries coming in and using up our tax money that is suppose to help homeless people, seniors and jobless families who by the way our illustrious premier Knotley caused it. Carbon Tax, Humbug
That is the biggest scam in Canada. Other countries must be laughing at Justin Trudeau on how he is scalping the poor people in Canada. Knotley should not have allowed the carbon tax to come in to Alberta. Justin, you have people (greenhorns) working in these departments playing GOD, deciding who should get what on pensions, etc. They make the mistakes and we pay for it? They should be unaccountable for their mistakes. This country has gone to pot.!!!!

Tuesday, April 11 at 2:07 pm | Reply

Lois Gardner:

my little CPP payment has the sole purpose of pushing up my yearly income so the GIS is clawed back. If politicians can’t live on 160,000 how do you expect me to live on 1400? Their huge increases are based on union wage levels, while pensioners’ one dollar increases are based on unrealistic cost of living changes. Nothing against my MP,h who does a good job, but it feels like lords and serfs out here in the real world.

Monday, April 24 at 12:57 pm | Reply

Brenton R Siddons:

why have my CCP payments for march and april been reduced

Thursday, April 27 at 8:29 pm | Reply

Babette:

I applied May 1, 2017 for the guaranteed income supplement but I think I should of applied January 2017. Also, I retired May 1, 2016. Do you think I would get retroactive payments for months before that I did not apply or do they just start paying after you apply.

Tuesday, May 02 at 8:41 pm | Reply

S. Johnson:

Seniors do not get any help all, the Canadian government is a disgrace, they don’t care.

Friday, June 16 at 3:03 am | Reply

amanda:

the amount i get barely gets me through the month , i haven’t been able to find work. by the time i pay my rent an phone , there is barely enough to get food , at present cpp is my only means of income,

Tuesday, September 26 at 10:59 am | Reply

amanda:

i would like to see them live on the income they give me

Tuesday, September 26 at 11:00 am | Reply

gloria vincent:

I have been checking out people on old age and supplement and cpp why cant a person good enough to go to work cant get their cpp old age and full supplement .it seem more people should have gone on welfare than work poor because they get loose part cpp cause they worked .they way I look at it if I had my time back I would have stayed on welfare I lost my drug card and all sup;ement cause I grossed over 27000.00 the last year I worked if I was on welfare I would get full old age drug card and full supplement .

Thursday, October 05 at 11:49 pm | Reply

John Ward:

I am an existing recipient of cpp and oas. The 1.4% doesn’t come close to the cost of living increases, i.e. taxes, etc.
My wife died in August of 2016. I lost her oas. She paid into the cpp for all her working life. I lost her cpp pension and got back $100 a month? My living expenses are practically the same. Maclean’s magazine published a disgusting article louding the wealth of seniors. What a crock I cancelled my subscription. Of course there are wealthy seniors who have received inheritances from their parents. My parents are in uk and left me nothing.

Saturday, October 28 at 7:40 pm | Reply

hans:

Is this the government for the people, by the people ? If you believe that then I do have a bridge for sale, especially for you. We don’t live in a democracy but a ” dumbmocracy”, run by a small segment of the population for their own benefit. The government shovel money out of this country to other governments to enhance their international standing to the detriment of Canadians who are no better off then the slaves of yore, working for 3 squares a day, a roof over their heads and clothes on their back but with a small carrot dangling in front of them to keep them working and producing for our spendthrift government. People are fed up with this establishment and are looking for a savior with none in sight.

Thursday, November 02 at 7:20 pm | Reply

Dennis:

So if I read this correctly the government give its seniors enough for coffee, a donut and a newspaper. With this in mine our leaders have hand over $50 million dollars to suspected terrorists and even more to indigenous groups.
I wish to thank the Liberal government for nothing.

Friday, November 24 at 3:32 pm | Reply

Betty:

If seniors got an increase like the politicians, there wouldn’t be so many going to food banks or eating poorly. Wake up Trudeau and get off your high horse. You give so much to the refugees who contributed NOTHING to this country and give nothing to the ones like me who have contributed all my life. WAKE UP.

Monday, December 04 at 9:04 pm | Reply

Jenny Wren:

the sad thing in our Canadian Life is government stealing from the elderly is condone…I stood in line with seniors lined up the street to vote Mr Justin Trudeau who promised who give increases to the elderly and we believed him with all our heart. so in January of 2017 he gave them .59 cents…but the immigrants got lost of our money and welfare gets lots of money…and aid…but the people who built this country get dumped on…and then one of your stupid government workers makes a statement that the government is responsible for our retirement…tell that to the ones who worked in retail for minimum wages to keep their families fed and a roof over their head…while the greedy corporations in retail get rich on the backs of out citizens of Canada…bad and sad…

Thursday, December 28 at 11:10 am | Reply

Jeffrey Stonehouse:

All Canadians should receive the maximum at age 70 and receive an increase every year to match inflation.

Sunday, January 07 at 12:24 am | Reply

LYNN POTTER:

ended up with begnin brain tumor at age 31…….quite blessed by recovery but was only able to work p.t…… there are probably many folk like me – am now 64…..went on cpp disability when i was in mid-fifties…..have had to depend on Said…..a branch of social services to afford meds……hate it….the shame of it after being a progressive motivated person….like i wrote many folk out there like me wish politicians would not attempt to shred our dignity

Sunday, January 14 at 2:33 pm | Reply