IMCO sells stake in Spanish electricity provider

The Investment Management Corp. of Ontario has sold its interest in Spanish electricity provider Viesgo to funds managed by Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets.

Prior the sale, the IMCO and MIRA collectively owned 60 per cent of Viesgo, while Wren House Infrastructure Management Ltd. owned the remaining 40 per cent. The initial investment in Viesgo was part of legacy client strategies before the IMCO’s inception and was made alongside MIRA through one of its investment vehicles. As part of the new deal, MIRA-managed funds are acquiring the IMCO’s portion of the shared stake as well as Wren House’s total stake.

Read: IMCO adding to investment in European bandwidth infrastructure company

“The investment made in 2015 alongside MIRA has generated a strong return due to the successful implementation of a number of strategic initiatives,” said Tim Formuziewich, managing director and global head of infrastructure at the IMCO, in a press release. “We would like to thank Viesgo’s management team and MIRA, who have done a tremendous job at driving value in this investment.”

IMCO Infrastructure has been shedding certain energy and utility holdings over the past few months, noted the release. “The infrastructure team is building an investment portfolio that is appropriate for a multi-client environment versus individual clients,” said Formuziewich in an email to Benefits Canada. 

Sector-specific considerations weren’t material factors in these latest divestiture decisions, he added. “Renewables, power and utilities are key components of IMCO’s infrastructure strategy going forward.”

At the end of 2019, it held $5.7 billion in infrastructure assets. The organization plans to grow its overall infrastructure program to $10 billion by 2024.

Read: Caisse, CPPIB building on investment in engineering firm