Home India

Keyword: India

28 results found
105364514-123RF

India’s finance minister is calling on Canada’s pension plans to invest in infrastructure projects in the world’s most populous democracy. This week, Mary Ng, Canada’s minister of international trade, export, small business and economic development met with Nirmala Sitharaman, India’s minister of finance, to exchange views on opportunities to further economic cooperation between the two […]

  • By: Staff
  • March 15, 2022 March 15, 2022
  • 10:15
123rf_iidniel

The Canada Pension Plan Investment Board is acquiring North America’s largest marine terminal operator. A minority investor in the Ports America Group since 2014, the CPPIB has reached a deal to secure all outstanding interest in the company from Oaktree Capital Management. While the exact details of the transaction aren’t known, the management structure is […]

  • By: Staff
  • September 30, 2021 September 29, 2021
  • 10:00
105364514-123RF

The Canada Pension Plan Investment Board is investing $1 billion in Amazon.com Inc.’s chief rival in the Indian e-commerce sector. The Flipkart Group, which was founded in 2007, boasted the largest share of India’s e-commerce market in 2020, significantly ahead of its closest rival Amazon. The CPPIB investment is part of a total US$3.6 billion funding round for […]

  • By: Staff
  • July 13, 2021 July 12, 2021
  • 08:50

The Canada Pension Plan Investment Board is boosting its interest in Indian infrastructure conglomerate IndInfravit Trust, after agreeing to pay $173 million for an additional 15.9 per cent of the toll road operator. The deal, which is scheduled for completion by the middle of May will take the CPPIB’s total stake in the investment trust to […]

Will China come out of pandemic stronger in institutional investors’ eyes?

Even amid the global chaos created by the coronavirus pandemic, China is too big an economy for institutional investors to ignore. A recent report by Greenwich Associates found the two main drivers for China allocations among institutional investors are diversification (54 per cent) and potential for alpha (31 per cent). But just as markets in Europe […]

Coronavirus poses tough challenge for economic policymakers

The fast-moving coronavirus isn’t just confounding health officials. It’s also bedevilling policymakers and central bankers who are struggling to assess the economic damage from an outbreak that’s reached 37 countries and territories, infected 80,000 people and killed 2,700 worldwide. They don’t know where or how fast the virus will spread. They can’t draw on clear […]

105364514-123RF

The Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec is teaming up with Piramal Asset Management Private Ltd. to form a US$300 million platform to invest in private credit financing opportunities in India. The Caisse contributed 75 per cent of the financing, with Piramal committing the other 25 per cent. The platform aims to provide private […]

  • By: Staff
  • February 7, 2020 December 13, 2020
  • 06:41
104801685

Low interest rates and reduced trade tensions will likely buoy the global economy over the next two years and help nurture steady if modest growth. That’s the view of the International Monetary Fund, which foresees world economic growth accelerating from 2.9 per cent last year to 3.3 per cent in 2020 and 3.4 per cent […]

CPPIB investing in Indian distressed assets platform

The Canada Pension Plan Investment Board is committing US$225 million to the India Resurgence Fund platform, through its wholly owned subsidiary CPPIB Credit Investments Inc. The IndiaRF is a distressed-assets buyout platform, jointly sponsored by Piramal Enterprises Ltd. and Bain Capital Credit. It seeks to buy distressed assets by purchasing existing debt and equity securities, either through bankruptcy courts, directly from […]

  • By: Staff
  • December 18, 2019 November 12, 2020
  • 15:00
Pension Podcast: Institutional investors urged to consider bottom-up approach to India

With India attracting the attention of Canadian pension plans, what opportunities and risks exist in the country? Across all asset classes, 2018 saw US$47 billion in foreign investment transactions into India, according to Sanjeev Krishan, deals and private equity expert at PwC India, during the Canadian Investment Review’s podcast “Pension Passport.” And this year could very well surpass that number, he […]