I recently sat down with Jim Keohane, president and chief executive officer of the $63.9-billion Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan to ask him five questions about how pension funds are investing and the risks he sees evolving in the marketplace.
The questions were:
- Is real estate a good substitute for fixed income for pension funds? Or are there additional risks?
- What’s the number one risk that keeps you up at night?
- We’ve heard much about the potential negative impact of Donald Trump’s ascendancy to the U.S. presidency, but does his promised rollback of Dodd-Frank have an upside for institutional investors?
- How and why are pension funds using leverage today — and are there risks in doing so?
- Any advice for Ontario’s recently announced new pension regulator?
Find out how Keohane answered these questions on Benefits Canada’s companion site, Canadian Investment Review.